Engineering Consultant Amusement Industry

Rhys Wachter

Engineers Australia Professional Engineers IAAPA Certified Executive

RPEQ Engineering Consultant – Structural

Certified as an RPEQ, Rhys has experience working in the amusement industry for over 17 years across several different theme parks and attractions around the world as an Engineering Consultant. He has a demonstrated lifelong passion for the industry, he has gained a wealth of knowledge in design and operation of theme parks and attractions.

He has also completed a Bachelor of Engineering and a Bachelor of Science and is certified RPEQ member of the Professional Engineers Australia. The RPEQ certification demonstrates his achievements in his career and competence to take on more complex engineering tasks.

Rhys is a IAAPA Certified Attraction Executive, sits on the Young Professionals Subcommittee for IAAPA. The International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions. He is also the Coordinator for the Show Ambassador Program held in Orlando each November.

With his extensive industry experience, Rhys is committed to delivering innovative and safe experiences for guests around the world.

As a young professional himself, Rhys is committed to mentoring and sharing his knowledge to help the next generation of entertainment industry leaders succeed.

Our team of Engineers on hand, David, Sina, Jack, Mitchell and Ryan are available to assist with any question relating to Amusement Devices.


Contact us today for an obligation free quote on any of our services.
What are the “RPEQ Engineering Consulting Services” DRA offer?

At DRA, we provide value in many activities including Consulting Services provided by RPEQ Engineers for a wide range of engineering design, verification and drone services. These range from phone consultations to in-depth on-site studies; from solving problems, to design recommendations.

Can you show examples of what the Engineering Consultants can do?
We have engineering consulting examples in many areas of the website, but some specific places are: The Slide Show, the Engineering Consulting page, the Services page, and the Case Studies area of the blog. Of course, the best way to find out if we can help you is to call us. Ask the direct questions about your situation and we will advise you if we can assist.
You Serve In My Industry?
The best way to know, is to ask. We welcome questions and comments about supporting industries and how we can best serve you.
Do your Engineering Consultants RPEQ certifications?
Yes, DRA currently have staff who have Registration as a Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ). This is required for some projects, particularly those assessments required by the Health and Safety Regulator; Department of Transport and Main Roads, or certification reports for Certifiers.
What qualifications do your staff have?
DRA Engineering Consultant are all qualified engineers, with specialty skills in structural and mechanical and their associated subfields. Staff are all members of relevant professional societies such as Engineers Australia. DRA is also a member company of the Australian Health and Safety Institute, a not-for-profit peak body representing professionals who are involved in delivering solutions to a wide range of clients and the community. DRA is also a member of ALAARA (Australian Amusement, Leisure and Recreation Association) and IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions).
Do you undertake work outside of Queensland?
Yes, we do. The majority of our work is in Queensland and New South Wales, but we have been involved in a number of projects across Australia and New Zealand. Please contact us to discuss any project.
Do you work to Australian and International Standards?
Our work is conducted to the relevant standards, policies and guidelines. Relevant standards for the amusement industry can include AS3533 and EN13814.
Can DRA provide drone services?
Yes, we can, DRA Engineering Consultants are qualified to fly drones to complete inspections and other aerial photography. Please contact us to discuss any drone services you may require.
Do I need an Annual Inspection for my amusement device?
Its best to refer to your local governments website to confirm however if your device is a class 2 or higher it most likely requires registration and therefore an Annual Inspection. Inflatable devices with a platform over 3m also require an Annual Inspection in most states.
Do I need a Major Inspection for my amusement device?
If your device is over 10 years old it’s highly recommended to conduct a Major Inspection, however if you are in Queensland, it is mandatory that this is completed before the device reaches 10 years old.
What is required of a Major Inspection?
A Major Inspection is a thorough examination and analysis of all critical components of the device. A Major Inspection goes beyond an Annual Inspection and considers the overall condition and appropriateness for a long-term operation.
What do I get with an Annual Inspection?
An Annual Inspection is a thorough examination and analysis of the device which includes a physical inspection of the device by one of our qualified engineers and a review of the device’s logbook. Once this is completed the engineer with complete and provide a detailed report on the findings and any required actions.
Should my inflatable be inspected?
If the inflatable has a platform height over 3m in most cases it is mandatory to have an annual inspection completed, however this doesn’t mean you can’t have one completed for an inflatable with a platform below 3m. We recommend that all inflatables have an inspection conducted annual to ensure they are safe to operate as well as verifying the anchor points and to confirm their appropriateness for the design and operating conditions. This might also assist in reducing your insurance premium annually.